Hearing Access Program
Low-cost hearing aid access for people in need
The BHA Hearing Access Program provides access to low-cost refurbished hearing aids and support for people in need.
Better Hearing Australia (Brisbane) developed the Hearing Access Program to help those who may be unable to access hearing aids and support through other channels.
Participants should hold a Health Care Card and a demonstrated clinical need for hearing loss treatment to participate in the program.
Need access to hearing aids but can’t afford them?
In Australia, we have access to funding for hearing aids through several different avenues, including the Hearing Services Program and the NDIS.
While many in the community will be covered, some people in need of hearing loss support fall outside the eligibility criteria set for these programs.
That’s why BHA Brisbane established the Hearing Access Program providing hearing access for those not eligible for funded government or other programs.
BHA will continue to lobby for increased funding and broader eligibility criteria for government-funded programs to ensure as many Australians as possible are covered.
What is the Hearing Access Program?
The BHA Hearing Access Program is a scheme that provides modern, fully refurbished hearing aids at a low cost to those eligible for the program.
If you want to help the program, you can donate your unused or unwanted hearing aids today!
Am I eligible for the program?
BHA has kept the eligibility criteria for the Hearing Access Program as accessible as possible.
Rather than setting a specific hearing loss level, the BHA Hearing Access Program only requires a demonstrated clinical need for hearing loss treatment.
Potential participants should also be the holders of a Government-issued Health Care card.
What will I be fitted with?
Only high quality, modern aids are deemed suitable to be refurbished and refitted.
The audiologist will fit you with the best available aids to treat your specific hearing loss.
The BHA Hearing Access Program will fit hearing aids to one or two ears as required.
Where can I access the program?
You should make initial enquiries to Better Hearing Australia Brisbane.
We have fully qualified partner audiologists throughout Brisbane and in most areas of Queensland.
BHA Brisbane will refer you to the most convenient clinic to you.
- Bribie Island
- Brisbane (Carindale, Carseldine, Clayfield, Loganholme, Spring Hill, Sunnybank Hills)
- Charters Towers
- Gold Coast (Hope Island)
- Ipswich (Booval)
- Mt Isa
- Palm Island
- Townsville (Condon, Hermit Park)
After your fitting, should you wish, you can continue to see your chosen clinic for ongoing care and services (fees may apply).
What are the costs?
Costs have been kept as low as possible to ensure as many people can access the program.
The program receives no government funding, and the fees charged help cover some of the costs associated with the audiologist’s time and delivering the service.
- Monaural (one ear) fitting: $395
- Binaural (two ears) fitting: $550
What’s included in the fee?
The BHA Hearing Access Program includes comprehensive services with qualified partner audiologists.
- Rehabilitative assessment includes full case history, otoscopy, pure tone audiometry, speech audiometry and tympanometry. Other tests if required.
- Referral to other specialists, e.g. ENT where appropriate.
- Hearing aid fitting and verification, rehabilitation, report for licencing (if required).
- High-quality Better Hearing Australia Hearing Access Program refurbished hearing aid/s, including full service, cleaning and sterilisation, new receivers/tubes, and housing change where applicable. Additional costs may be incurred for custom earmolds where required.
- 1 x packet of batteries.
- 30-day $150 per hearing aid money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Ongoing hearing loss support and advice from the BHA team.
Post-fitting care and success
BHA can offer a range of post-fitting support and services to ensure the best outcome for your hearing loss.
- Hearing Help Desk referral support and advice
- Peer Connect Program
- Community-based Support Groups
- Active Communication Education (ACE)
Your next steps
If you would like to discuss your eligibility, please contact Better Hearing Australia Brisbane today.
You can also apply through our online form here.